Continuing on our series from before Christmas, we have added a few more weld defects.
Weld Crater is the unfilled end of a weld. The full cross section of weld is not filled and is considered a weld defect.
- stopping the arc too soon, not waiting to fill the weld end – crater
Why is a crater a defect
- can lead to cracking of weld, by leaving a “weak” spot in the end of the weld
How to Prevent the Problem
- when stopping welds allow the weld puddle to fill before stopping the arc.
How to Repair
- Lightly grind the area where the crater has formed
- Backfill the area with a crater to repair
For information on previous topics, select below.
Until next week,